The national nonprofit Tread Lightly! with its partners Bass Pro Shops and Arctic Cat announced the Tread lightly contest contest 2015. Anyone who joins or renew their membership between now and September 30, 2015 will be automatically entered into a drawing for a chance to win an Arctic Cat 2015 Wildcat Trail XT side by side and high-value Bass Pro Shops gift cards.
Tread Lightly is an organization who promotes responsible stewardship and helps everyone enjoy the outdoors. 90% of funds Tread Lightly! raises will go directly to on-the-ground initiatives, including educational materials, public awareness campaigns, volunteer training, and restoration projects. Its work reaches a broad audience in outdoor recreation.
Visit JoinTreadLightly.org for more information.
Here are some thoughts & tips for responsible wilderness travel :
- Drive responsibly to protect the environment and preserve opportunities to enjoy wild lands.
- Education yourself . It all starts with you.
- Travel only in areas open to utility terrain vehicles (UTVs).
- Minimize wheel spin.
- Avoid maneuvers which cause erosion especially driving on muddy roads.
- Drive over, not around, obstacles to avoid widening the trail.
- Cross streams only at designated fording points where the trail crosses the stream. Cross slowly at a 90 degree angle.
- Carpool! Driving solo can leave you vulnerable. Less vehicles on the road means less impact.
- When using a tree as an anchor, use a wide tree strap to avoid damaging the trunk of the tree.
- Don’t mix riding with alcohol or drugs.
- Respect the right of hikers, campers and others to enjoy their activities undisturbed.
- Be courteous to others.
- Avoid sensitive areas such as meadows, wetlands, streams, living desert soils, tundra and seasonal nesting or breeding areas.
- Always look well ahead by scanning the trail before you.