Your Clearly Tough windshield is one of the toughest around. It does a fabulous job of keeping you safe and comfortable. But if you are riding hard, the windshield is going to get dirty at some point. Luckily, our polycarbonate windshields are easy to clean.
Clearly Tough’s polycarbonate windshields are 250 times stronger than glass. You will want to clean your polycarbonate windshield differently than you would a glass windshield, however. You need to care for it differently to keep it working and looking its best. We’ve compiled some tips that will help you keep your windshield clean, without scratching it or shortening its life.
*These easy steps are all you need to safely clean your Clearly Tough windshield:
- Pre-rinse your windshield with water to remove the dirt and grime or any other material on the surface.
- Using a cloth or paper towel, gently wash the windshield using mild soap or detergent. Liquid dish soap or hand washing soap are both great options.
- Thoroughly rinse the windshield with clean water windshield to remove any remaining cleaner residue.
- Dry with a cloth, paper towel, or chamois to prevent water spots.
Here are some things to avoid:
- Don’t use cleaners that contain ammonia, such as Windex or 409, on your windshield. Ammonia is rough on polycarbonate. Avoid solvents such as gasoline, denatured alcohol, or acetone as well.
- Don’t use abrasive or alkaline cleaners on your windshield.
- Don’t clean your windshield while it is dry. Rinse it with water first.
- Avoid automotive rain repellents.
- Don’t scrub your windshield with brushes, steel wool or other abrasive materials.
- Don’t use squeegees, razor blades, or other sharp instruments to remove deposits or spots.
You can find cleaners designed specifically for cleaning and polishing polycarbonate windshields on the market. We recommend thoroughly researching any of those before purchasing. Keep in mind that they might not be necessary. You can get your windshield really clean using only soap and water.
**NOTICE: These suggestions will work well for Clearly Tough scratch-resistant windshields. If your windshield is any other brand and is NOT scratch resistant you may get micro scratches using some of these techniques. Uncoated polycarbonate scratches incredibly easily, even with soft items such as paper towels. We only use scratch resistant hard-coated polycarbonate at Clearly Tough.