Clearly Tough’s Best UTV/ATV Off-Road Trails by State
There is nothing quite like heading out to explore new trails. Some of the most beautiful and adventurous riding can be found right here in the USA. We have so many opportunities to get out and ride. Covering nearly 3.8 million square miles, the United States contains some of the most varied types of climate, natural features and terrain of any spot on Earth. For some of us, these places are right in our backyard. Others of us have to travel a bit to get to a good riding area. But no matter where you live, you’re never too far from off-road trails perfect for UTV riding.
With so much out there to explore, it may be time to head out and discover some new and unknown territory. We decided to do some research on which trails across the country were favorite places to ride in hopes that it would give us some ideas on where to go. With our own experience and input from several of you, we put together a list of the top three riding areas in each state across the country. Check out our suggestions of amazing places for riding, then get out there and explore. You will make memories that you will never forget!
Whether you’re off on a vacation or planning something a little more long term, there is no better time to start planning your next adventure than now. And this is just a taste of what the USA has to offer in trail riding. One of the most exciting things about living in the United States is the sheer variety of available terrain. You won’t lack for choice, regardless of what type of vehicle you ride, or which corner of the continent you live in.
We know we have barely scratched the surface when it comes to awesome places to ride. We want to hear some of your favorite places! Let us know where you love to ride!
- Geneva State Forest – Kinston, AL
- The Ridge Off Road Riding Park – Springville, AL
- Grey Rock ORV – Birmingham, AL
- Coal Mine Road – Delta Junction, AK
- Knik Glacier Trail – Palmer, AK
- Fish Creek Trail – Paxson, AK
- Arizona Peace Trail – Quartzsite, AZ
- Bulldog Canyon OHV Area – Phoenix, AZ
- Hot Wells Dunes Recreation Area – Safford, AZ
Arizona Sunrider’s ATV/UTV Club
Arizona Sunrider’s ATV/UTV Club is a group of ATV Riders that have been riding the trails in the Quartzsite, Arizona area for several years. Their club is very fortunate to have over 1100 miles of trails that we can ride in La Paz Valley. One trail that they have been working to develop is the Arizona Peace Trail, a 750 mile loop trail from Yuma Az to Bullhead City AZ. For more information on their club visit arizonasunridersatvclub.com
- Mill Creek OHV Trails – Elkins, AR
- Moccasin Gap Horse Trail – Dover, AR
- Sandtown Ranch – Batesville, AR
- Imperial Sand Dunes – El Centro, CA
- Ocotillo Wells – Ocotillo Wells, CA
- Penny Pines – Upper Lake, CA
- Alpine Loop – Silverton, CO
- Bangs Canyon – Grand Junction, CO
- Red Feather Lakes – Livermore, CO
Pagosa Trail Riders
The Pagosa Trail Riders (PTR) isis a family oriented and diverse group whose members love to ride the roads and trails in Southwest Colorado. As a club, they promote education of responsible ATV/OHV riders in the National Forests. Their favorite riding trails include the San Juan Mountains. Visit their site at pagosatrailriders.com for more information.
Uncompahgre Valley Trail Riders Snowmobile & ATV Club
A year round Snowmobile and ATV club in Montrose, Colorado. They consist of 118 families and have been around for over 20 years. They groom 95 miles of trail for the forest service each winter for snowmobile use. They also have an agreement with the forest service to maintain 85 miles of trails for off road vehicles in the summer time. They keep the trails open and cleaned up for ATV use. Their favorite riding areas include, the high country near Silverton, Uncompahgre Plateau, red rock country near Grand Junction and the Gunnison Area. Visit their facebook page at Uncompahgre Valley Trail Riders for more information.
High Rocky Riders
The High Rocky Riders OHV club is dedicated to family oriented recreation involving off road motor vehicles. The club is active in their community, helping support various local charities as well as statewide OHV advocacy groups. Their favorite trails include: Four Mile riding area, St Elmo – Hancock Pass and Tin Cup Pass and Texas Creek. Find more information about their club at highrockyriders.org.
- No information available. If you know of any great riding trails in this area, please tell us in the comments below. We’d love to add them to our list.
- Delmarva Motorsports Park – Middleford, DE
- Apalachicola National Forest – Bristol, FL
- Ocala OHV Trail System – Umatilla, FL
- Mallory Swamp – Lafayette County, FL
- Oakey Mountain OHV Trails – Lakemont, GA
- Beasley Knob OHV Trail System – Blairsville, GA
- Moto Mountain Park – Fairmount, GA
- Kualoa Ranch Tours – Oahu, HI
- Kipu Ranch Tours – Lihue, HI
- Kahoma Ranch Tours – Lahaina, HI
- St. Anthony Sand Dunes – St. Anthony, ID
- Mackay Mine Hill – Mackay, ID
- Clay Peak Recreation Area – Payette, ID
Back Country ATV/UTV Association
Back Country ATV has approximately 120 members that love riding the mountains of North Idaho. They are an organization dedicated to keeping our public lands open to the public. They also strive to take good care of our public lands. Some of their favorite rides include the Bunco and Fourth of July areas. Learn more about them at backcountryatv.org.
- South Fork Dirt Riders – Taylorville, IL
- Little Egypt OHV Area – Marion, IL
- Mill Creek Park – Marshall, IL
- Badlands Off Road Park – Attica, IN
- Interlake State Recreation Area – Lynnville, IN
- Haspin Acres – Laural, IN
Michiana Trail Riders Coalition
This club is located in South Bend, Indiana but they ride all over the country. Michiana Trail Riders Coalition has ridden from the east coast trails in Maine, to as far west as Wyoming. Down south they rode in South Carolina and up north to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. One of their favorite rides is the Badlands National Forest in South Dakota. Learn more about them at gomtrc.com.
- Gypsum City OHV Park – Fort Dodge, IA
- Lakeview OHV Park – Solon, IA
- River Valley OHV Park – Council Bluffs, IA
- Tuttle Creek ORV Area – Randolph, KS
- Kansas Rocks Recreation Park – Mapleton, KS
- Kansas Badlands – South Haven, KS
- Mine Made Paradise Adventure Park – Lockport, KY
- Turkey Bay OHV Area – Golden Pond, KY
- Black Mountain Off Road Adventure Area – Evarts, KY
- Muddy Bottoms Recreation Park – Springhill, LA
- Claiborne Multi-Use Trails – Forest Hill, LA
- Enduro Trails – Fullerton, LA
Southern Mud Riderz
Southern Mud Riderz ATV club has over 200 members that love to ride. The club is geared toward families and kids. They host an annual Halloween Ride to raise funds for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital each October. Some of their favorite riding spots include Tower Trax ATV in Fluker, Red Creek Off-Road in Perkinston, Sabine ATV Park in Burkville, Mud Creek in Jacksonville, Brimstone and many others. To learn more about Southern Mud Riderz check out their facebook page.
- Rocky Mountain Trail Park – South Carthage, ME
- Mt. Blue State Park – Weld, ME
- Coburn Mountain – The Forks, ME
Patten ATV Club
Patten ATV club is an all volunteer organization. They maintain approximately 100 miles of accessible trails, all of which are side by side friendly. These trails run through Patten, Mount Chase, Moro, Hersey, Crystal & Stacyville.They are a family oriented club and have well over 150 members. They have a poker run and attend the Patten Pioneer Days every year. To learn more about new trails, club information or upcoming club events & rides, visit their website here.
- St. John’s Rock ORV Trail – Frostburg, MD
- Wallman/Laurel Run ORV Trail – Oakland, MD
- Meadow Mountain Trail System – Grantsville, MD
Maryland OHV Alliance
Although MD closed its trails in 2011, Maryland OHV Alliance has been working with the DNR to open new trails. It has been a long hard fight, but they are building their first planned trail system for OHVs, Savage River Trails. They are expecting an official opening mid to late June 2017. To learn more about their efforts, visit mdohvalliance.org.
- Pittsfield State Forest – Pittsfield, MA
- Beartown State Forest – Monterey, MA
- October Mountain State Forest – Stockbridge – MA
New England ATV Association
The New England ATV Association is a club of off-highway enthusiasts formed to promote and protect the sport of off-highway recreation. Although located in Massachusetts, they enjoy riding mostly in Maine and New Hampshire. They camp together each summer in Abbot, ME, at Balsam Woods Campground for the week of in which July 4 falls. They also like to ride in New Hampshire in the “Ride the Wild” area. Learn more about New England ATV Association here.
- Bundy Hill Off Road Park – Jerome, MI
- Little Manistee Trails – Baldwin, MI
- Indian River ORV Trail – Indian River, MI
Mud Brothers of the North ATV/UTV Club
The purpose of the Mud Brothers of the North ATV Club is to advance the general welfare and safety of ATV/UTV recreation. They head up one of the biggest ORV events in Michigan, Trek the Mighty Mac. This event allows people to drive over one of the largest bridges in the world and continue to ride trails in the Upper Peninsula, which is not legal anytime of the year besides this event. Some of their favorite riding trails include the Indian River Michigan area tomahawk trails. They also love to ride the Upper Peninsula area of Trout Lake and the Munising/copper harbor area. Find out more about this club by visiting mudbrothersatvclub.com.
Great Lakes ORV Association
Great Lakes ORV Association is based in northwest Michigan. Their goals are to maintain Michigan’s Indian Garden ORV trail and promote Michigan to all ORV enthusiasts. The Great Lakes ORV Association’s Trail Committee works with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to maintain the beautiful Indian Garden ORV/UTV/ATV route in Emmet County, which is their favorite place to ride. To get more information visit their website at greatlakesorv.com.
- Nemadji State Forest – Nickerson, MN
- Spider Lake OHV Area – Moose Lake, MN
- Big Aspen Recreation Area – Virginia, MN
The Up North Riders
Up North Riders are an ATV club dedicated to safe and fun riding. They have over 100 members and over 200 miles of Northwoods ATV Trails. They regularly have several of their own events and are involved in safety training, trail maintenance and the Trail Ambassador program. They love to ride the Aitkin County Northwoods trail system that includes over 270 miles of trails. These trails are open to both ATVs and Side x sides. Visit upnorthridersinc.org to learn more.
Red River Riders ATV Club
Red River Riders is a family oriented club. They frequently go to the closer, easier trails such as the Smokey Hills State Forest – which has some great mud holes, a very nice sand pit area to play in and a few challenging hills. They also love the Akeley trails. Most of all, they just like to get out as a group, enjoy a great ride, laughs and fellow wheeler enthusiasts! For more information visit redriverridersatv.org.
The Woodtick Wheelers ATV/OHM Club
The Woodtick Wheelers ATV/OHM Club was formed in July, 2009 and has over 400 members. They love riding in the Chippewa National Forest and surrounding areas. As a club, they focus on enjoying off-road riding opportunities, protecting and preserving the forest and promoting safe and responsible off-road riding. To find out more about the Woodtick Wheelers, visit woodtickwheelers.com.
North Metro Trail Riders
North Metro Trail Riders come from all walks of life, with varying ages and riding abilities. They all share a love for riding ATV’s. The club has group rides on a monthly basis, and always welcomes everyone to come join in the fun, not just club members. Each year on National Trail Day, the club sets up a tent at the entrance to one of their favorite trails – the Red Top Trail, located in between Isle and McGrath, MN – they provide hot dogs and maps and cold beverages to those using the trails that day. Some of their favorite riding trails include, Red Top Trail, Nemadji State Forest, St. Croix State Forest, General CC. Andrews State Forest and Solana State Forest. Visit their site at northmetrotrailriders.com for more information.
- Crossroads Recreation Park – Jackson, MS
- Barnyard Mudboggers – Fulton, MS
- Burden’s Creek – Mt Olive, MS
- St. Joe State Park – Park Hills, MO
- Finger Lakes State Park – Colombia, MO
- Bricks Off Road Park – Poplar Bluff, MO
- Shepherd Ah Nei Recreation Area – Billings, MT
- Wicked Creek ATV Trail – Livingston, MT
- Pipestone OHV Area – Whitehall, MT
- Dismal River Trail – Halsey, NE
- Off Road Ranch – Norfolk, NE
- River Valley OHV Park – Omaha, NE
- Cold Creek – Las Vegas, NV
- Logandale Trails – Logandale, NV
- Moon Rocks – Reno, NV
- Ride the Wilds ATV Trail System – Colebrook, NH
- Big Rock Campground – North Stratford, NH
- Ammonoosuc Recreation Trail – Lisbon, NH
Millsfield ATV Club
Millsfield Pond is located in Northern NH near the town of Errol. Around the pond is over 100 miles of trails and logging roads available for ATV use, which are maintained by the Millsfield ATV club. Some of their favorite trails include Five Bridges and Deer Mountain. For more information on Millsfield ATV Club visit their site at millsfieldatv.com.
Sullivan County ATV Club
Sullivan County ATV Club is a small group that has around 60 miles of trails between Claremont, Newport and Unity, NH. One of their favorite rides includes Ride The Wilds – 1,000 miles of interconnected trails from Gorham to Pittsburg – Perfect for UTVs. Click here for more information on Sullivan County ATV Club.
Metallak ATV Club
Metallak ATV Club is located in Northern New Hampshire. Their goal is to help connect the trails of Northern New Hampshire ATV clubs. They connect with several other clubs in the area which is a great benefit. All of their trails are UTV friendly. Some favorites include the Diamond Peaks trail, along with Sugar Hill trail. They both have excellent views. Visit their site at metallakatvclub.com for more information.
- Ready to Ride, Offroad Pals – Egg Harbor, NJ
- Acto Motorcross Park – Acto, NJ
- Hackberry Lake – Carlsbad, NM
- Gordys Hill OHV Area – Socorro, NM
- Red Sands OHV Area – Alamogordo, NM
- Lewis County ATV Trail System – Lowville, NY
- Tall Pines ATV Park – Andover, NY
- Demon Run ATV Trails – Bath, NY
Indian River ATV Club, Inc.
Indian River ATV Club is a non-profit organization based in Theresa NY, Jefferson County. In 2003, a few friends started the club so that others could be as proactive as they are about the up keep of the trails and enjoy ridng ATVs. The club continues to help maintain the Rails of Trails trail system. Some of their favorite riding spots include a private trail in Newton Falls NY, Tall Pines ATV Park, Andover, NY, and Tug Hill Region in Upstate NY. You can find more about Indian River ATV Club here.
Oswego County ATV Club
OCATV Club is an ATV/UTV non-profit organization. They have approximately 1,500 members and are very family oriented. They love to ride their trail system which includes approximately 120 miles of trails that consist mostly of private landowners. Their trail system ranges from railroad beds to tight, technical woods trails. Visit their site at oswegocountyatv.org for more details.
- Uwharrie OHV Trail System – Uwharrie, NC
- Black Swamp OHV Area – New Bern, NC
- Busco Beach ATV Park – Goldsboro, NC
- Kimball Bottoms OHV Area – Bismarck, ND
- Rough Rider OHV Area – Huff, ND
- Dakota Prairie Grasslands – Medora, ND
- Renegade Ridge – Bloomingdale, OH
- Big Maples Farm – Oxford, OH
- Perry State Forest – New Lexington, OH
- Lake Murray State Park – Ardmore, OK
- Appalachia Bay ORV Area – Cleveland, OK
- Beaver Dunes State Park – Beaver, OK
- Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area – Florence, OR
- Browns Camp OHV Area – Forest Grove, OR
- Noonday Trail – Cottage Grove, OR
North West Trail Riders Association
North West Trail Riders Association has been based out of Pendleton Oregon since 1985. They love to ride the Winom-Frazier OHV Complex. The Lennis Memorial Trail and ATV Loop Trail provide a fun riding experience, and the Outlaw Trail provides excellent views. Most of the trails provide specific fun and challenging highlights and there is always the run to Tower Mountain Lookout to provide a spectacular overall view. To find out more, visit nwtra.com.
- Lost Trails ATV Park – Dunmore, PA
- Rock Run Recreation Area – Patton, PA
- Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area – Shamokin, PA
Central Mountains ATV Association
Central Mountains ATV Association strives to promote the development and enhancement of ATV Riding Trails for the benefit of all ATV riders. They also support the preservation and protection of our natural resources through responsible ATV riding. They love riding the Whiskey Springs and Bloody Skillet State trails systems. Visit their site at cmatva.org for more information.
Tri-County ATV was formed in December of 2000. This club maintains over 1,000 acres of land that includes marked trails, a dirt track, a kids play area and a mud bog. Of course, this is their favorite place to ride. They host a number of events each year included open house and haunted rides. For more information on Tri-County ATV club click here.
Lehigh Valley ATV Association
The Lehigh Valley ATV Association, Inc. was formed on March 28, 1985. It was one of the first ATV clubs in the state. The Association’s goal is to promote the fine sport of ATV’ing through safety training, public awareness, and respect for the environment. They are predominantly a family-oriented group who enjoy riding ATV’s and having fun. Visit their site at lehighvalleyatv.com for more information.
- No information available. If you know of any great riding trails in this area, please tell us in the comments below. We’d love to add them to our list.
- Carolina Adventure World – Winnsboro, SC
- Battery Park Offroad – Hemingway, SC
- Gulches ORV Park – Waterloo, SC
- Black Hill National Forest – Sturgis, SD
- Trailside Park Resort – Hill City, SD
- Railroad Buttes – Farmingdale, SD
Hill City Let’s Ride ATV/UTV Club
This club includes members are of all ages, interests and skill levels. What they all share is their love of the high country, the open air, and adventure suited to their skills and desires. They love riding in the Black Hill’s, and say all of the trails are great. Preference all depends on your style of riding, experience, and what time of the year you come out. They love riding the Keystone/Rockerville area, Mt. Meadows, Cement Ridge and Spearfish Canyon. Visit their Facebook page for more information.
- Brimstone Recreation Area – Huntsville, TN
- Windrock Park – Oliver Springs, TN
- Ride Royal Blue – Pioneer, TN
- Hidden Falls Adventure Park – Marble Falls, TX
- River Run ATV Park – Jacksonville, TX
- Red Sands – El Paso, TX
- Paiute ATV Trail System – Fillmore, UT
- Sand Flats Recreation Area – Moab, UT
- Sand Hollow State Park – St. George, UT
Utah ATV Association
This all volunteer, not-for-profit organization was founded in 1985. Their purposes include preserving trail riders access to National Forest, State Parks, and BLM Lands, and protecting the resources of these lands. They plan recreation opportunities for members and their families while promoting trail riding as a legitimate and respectable activity. They host the annual Utah ATV Ride For Life to benefit the Make a Wish Foundation of Utah, and just completed the event for the 33rd year! They also have monthly planned rides, camp outs, pot lucks, ATV rodeos, and picnics. Learn more about them at utahatv.com.
- Rutland County – Rutland, VT
- Lamoille County – Morristown, VT
- Washington County – Washington, VT
West Rutland Sportsman’s Club
West Rutland Sportsman’s Club is the oldest ATV club in Vermont and is responsible for managing 55 miles of ATV trails throughout Rutland County. Their favorite riding trails are naturally their own. They have some very beautiful trails. Nearly all of their trails are off-road and feature some magnificent mountain rides with great clearings for stunning views. To find out more about West Rutland Sportsman’s Club, visit their site here.
- Big Boys Playground – Harrisonburg, VA
- Elkhorn Lake – Java, VA
- Rocky Run ATV Trail – Harrisonburg, VA
Mountain View ATV Club
The Mountain View ATV Club, Inc. is based in St. Paul, VA. Founded in June of 1994, it was the first and only legal ATV trail riding club in Southwest, VA that was open to the general public. Some of their favorite places to ride include the Spearhead Trails System. To find out more about the Mountain View ATV Club, visit their site here.
- Evans Creek ORV Area – Buckley, WA
- Beverly Sand Dunes – Beverly, WA
- Walker Valley ORV Area – Mount Vernon, WA
- Buffalo Mountain ATV Trails – Delbarton, WV
- Burning Rock Offroad Park – Tams, WV
- Rockhouse Trail System – Man, WV
- Cheese County ATV Trail – Monroe, WI
- Black River State Forest – Black River Falls, WI
- Dusty Trails ATV Trail System – Mountain, WI
Elk Country ATV Club
Elk Country ATV Club is located in the Chequamegon National Forest in Clam Lake, WI, which is where they love to ride. They have many miles of trail’s to ride on and some awesome scenery. Nature comes alive when you are out riding in hundreds of miles of trails in the Chequamegon National Forest. Visit elkcountryatvclub.com for more information.
The Kettle Moraine ATV Association
Kettle Moraine ATV Association promotes family friendly, safe and social riding opportunities. Every year they conduct an ATV/UTV Charity Ride. Over the last 9 years they’ve raised $84,900 and last year alone raised $23,900. Some of their favorite rides include Antigo, WI Area (Langlade County), Mountain/Lakewood (Oconto/Marinette Counties) WI Area, Florence/Dunbar (Florence/Marinette Counties) WI Area and Black River Falls/Neillsville (Jackson/Clark Counties) WI Area.
For more information Kettle Moraine ATV Association visit kmatva.com
Trails North ATV’ers
Trails North ATV’ers has been in existence since 1988. Their mission is to bring together ATV riders who enjoy meeting and riding with others. In addition to this, they promote riding safety and strive to keep our lands accessible. They work hard to maintain approximately 75 miles of trails in the Bayfield County area. Their favorite places to ride include the Bayfield County Forests and the Nicolet Chequamegon National Forest. For more information on their club visit trailsnorthatv.org
- Bighorn National Forest – Burgess Junction, WY
- Bear Creek Trail – Star Valley, WY
- North Piney Meadows ATV Trails – Afton, WY